Are Women’s Leggings Appropriate for Golf?
Are women’s leggings appropriate for golf? Pirdie answers popular questions about women’s golf dress codes, casual golf dress options, and what not to wear to golf.
What do girls wear to dress casually for golf?
Girls can casually dress for golf. Often women's leggings are appropriate for golf. In addition to wearing women's leggings for golf, girls typically opt for comfortable and practical outfits that still adhere to golf course etiquette. Here are some common attire choices for girls dressing casually for golf:
- Jogger or leggings: Choose our Ace Jogger or any women's leggings to dress casually for golf.
- Polo Shirt or Collared Shirt: Choose our June Daly or Caddy Camp as a classic women's golf polo shirt or our Back Nine sleeveless shirt in a breathable fabric such as cotton or moisture-wicking material. Opt for a solid color or subtle patterns.
- Shorts or Skirts: Our Foreplay golf skirt or golf shorts are popular choices for casual play. Look for well-fitting, knee-length shorts or skirts made of a comfortable and flexible material. Avoid overly short or tight options.
- Golf Shoes or Athletic Shoes: Golf-specific shoes provide better traction and stability on the course. However, if you're playing casually, comfortable athletic shoes with good grip can also be worn.
- Socks: Wear ankle-length or no-show socks that are comfortable and moisture-wicking. Avoid wearing sandals or going barefoot.
- Accessories: Consider wearing any of our golf trucker hats or visor to protect yourself from the sun. Sunglasses, a lightweight jacket or sweater, and sunscreen are also essential items to have.
It's important to note that golf course dress codes may vary, so it's always a good idea to check with the specific course you'll be playing at to ensure you adhere to their guidelines.
Can women wear leggings to golf?
Yes, women can wear leggings while playing golf. Golf attire has become more relaxed and inclusive over the years, allowing for a wider range of clothing options, including making women's leggings appropriate for golf. Many golf courses now accept leggings as appropriate attire for women, as long as they are worn with a suitable top or golf shirt. However, it's always a good idea to check the specific dress code of the golf course you plan to visit, as some courses may have specific requirements or restrictions regarding attire.
Can women wear leggings under a golf skirt?
Yes, women can wear leggings under a skirt for golf if they choose to do so. Golf attire typically requires players to wear appropriate clothing that is comfortable, allows for a full range of motion, and adheres to the dress code of the golf course. In addition to women's leggings being appropriate for golf, they can provide an extra layer of warmth, coverage, or modesty, especially in cooler weather or for personal preference. However, it's always a good idea to check the specific dress code of the golf course or event you plan to attend to ensure leggings are allowed. Some golf courses may have specific rules regarding attire, so it's best to be aware of any regulations in place.
Can I wear leggings to a golf tournament?
Generally speaking, yes, you can wear leggings to a golf tournament. Unless there are specific rules at the course you are attending about spectator dress code, you can wear leggings to a golf tournament you are watching. If you are playing in a golf tournament, leggings may not be an appropriate choice.
Can you wear dress pants to golf?
Yes, again generally, you can wear dress pants to golf. Golf courses often have dress codes, but many courses allow dress pants as part of appropriate attire. Check the specific dress code of the golf course you plan to visit, as some might have more specific guidelines regarding the type of pants allowed. In general, golf attire typically includes khakis or dress pants, so you should be fine with dress pants as long as they're comfortable and allow for movement during your game.
Check out Pirdie's golf joggers here.
What is appropriate golf attire?
Looking for a guide on appropriate women's golf attire? Check out Pirdie's guide to women's golf clothes.
What not to wear playing golf?
When it comes to golf attire, there are generally accepted guidelines for both men and women. While fashion trends and specific course dress codes may vary, here are some suggestions for women's golf attire:
- Avoid overly revealing or provocative clothing: Golf is a sport that emphasizes modesty and respect for the game. It is best to avoid extremely short skirts, low-cut tops, or excessively tight-fitting clothing.
- Skip denim: Most golf courses discourage denim jeans, as they can be considered too casual for the sport. Instead, opt for tailored shorts, skirts, or slacks made from appropriate golf fabrics.
- Leave the tank tops and spaghetti straps behind: Sleeveless tops are generally acceptable on the golf course, but it's best to avoid thin shoulder straps, tank tops, or anything that exposes the majority of your shoulders.
- Stay away from flip-flops and sandals: Golf requires proper footwear for stability and comfort. Avoid open-toed shoes, flip-flops, or sandals. Instead, opt for golf shoes or athletic shoes with soft spikes or appropriate traction.
- Minimize distractions: Avoid wearing excessively large or noisy jewelry, as they can be distracting to you or other players. Opt for simple accessories that don't interfere with your swing or distract others.
Remember, these are general guidelines, and it's always a good idea to check the specific dress code of the golf course you plan to play at. Some courses may have more specific requirements or preferences. Generally speaking, women's leggings are appropriate for golf. For a more in depth dive into what to wear to golf, check out Pirdie's Guide to Women's Golf Clothes.